May 15, 1539

Hola Diary!

Now, as dawn breaks, it is dwindling down towards my days before my adventures to the unexplored lands of La Florida, for we have had possession for a number of years now yet never explored the land in great depths like I hope to do. I find that I am well equipped and suitable for this situation, and I believe so does Spain’s beloved king, King Charles V (I), for he has just now appointed myself as the governor of Cuba and granted me permission to explore La Florida. I am ready to conquer any challenges and hindrances that possibly lie ahead of me and my eager men. If I can conquer the Incan Empire and strike wealthy, then I can accomplish great things.
Through my explorations I hope to encounter many things, gold would be a pleasure and maybe ever conquering a native empire. However, I ponder if my boats (nine to be exact) and group of 1,000 eager volunteering men from Spain and Cuba and Portugal and all over are prepared to accept and conquer this challenge. Though they are equipped with their personal guns and armor, numerous horses and clothes some even their wives, I do not know if the mental preparation has developed yet. I am a bit nervous but with the organization and energy that my men and I boast anything is possible.