May 17, 1542



Hola Diary!

We eventually made it back to the Mississippi River with no gold, silver or empire to be found. My expedition was unsuccessful in encountering my goal and I have let down King Charles V of Spain who has funded my expedition, but we found many new lands some for Spain, and this mighty river. We are located now at the western banks of the Mississippi river at the Indian village of Guachoya. I gaze out at my men with only half remaining, a scarce amount of horses, animal skins for clothes and being overcome by poor health and injury. Including myself, I have found that over the past several days my health has been diminishing and I have become cold and shaky and I am nearing my death. I have pondered for many a time whose hands I shall place the rest of the expedition in. It is a crucial and important decision, for this person has to have skills like mine of organization and energy and intelligence to lead my men back home. Luis de Moscoso Alvarado one of my honored field officers, has stepped up and taken charge and in my opinion he deserves this title. But, I wonder about my men, and how they will keep my death sworn to secrecy, so the fellow natives do not find out that I have died, for we have told them I am a sun-god possessing unnatural powers in order to keep stability and peace. My men must keep my death a secret in order for peace to remain with themselves and the natives.