November 14, 1532



Hola Diary!

It has been a long two years. This is what happened. We reached the Andes Mountains and met the Incas, who are spread throughout South America. Pizarro then met a local chieftain who informed him that the capital, Cuzco, held gold and riches. There were many men in our army, including Ponce de Leon, who did not believe him; they left to return home. I was also disappointed in Pizarro’s leadership. He had promised me the rank of lieutenant governor in Peru, but his brother, Hernando Pizarro, had already been given that position. To keep me from leaving or taking over the army, Pizarro gave me his other brothers, Juan and Gonzalo to join my unit. Pizarro created units so that our 168 soldier army could explore the area more efficiently. My unit traveled for a long time before I finally met an Inca tax collector in Caxas where an Inca army was located. The man informed me that the Spanish were unwelcome in Peru. Although I knew we were not welcome, I decided to keep going anyway. What is the most exiting news? The leader of the Incas, Atahualpa, has requested a meeting with me! I have turned him down and have gone back to tell Pizarro of these new developments. He, too, is very excited; we now know that Atahualpa is in Caxamarca. We plan to take the whole army with us to meet him tomorrow! I hope all goes well.